EPO PUBLISHES SECOND EDITION
OF THE UNITARY PATENT GUIDE
It is expected that the Agreement on a Unified Patent Court (UPCA) will enter into force end of 2022 or beginning of 2023. At the same time the European Union regulation 1257/2012 and 1260/2012 will enter into force relating to the European patent with unitary effect (Unitary Patent) and the translation arrangements.
The Select Committee of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation has prepared the secondary legislation, in particular the Rules of procedure relating to Unitary Patent Protection and the Rules relating to the Fees for Unitary Patent Protection. Recently, some of the rules have been updated together with the Unitary Patent Guide.
Unitary Patent Guide
The Unitary Patent Guide explains in detail the procedure at the EPO for obtaining a Unitary Patent and the annex procedures.
In particular, it provides:
• General information about the Unitary Patent (Section A);
• Details how and when the request for unitary patent protection has to be filed and which information has to be provided to the EPO (Section B)
• The compensation scheme for specific SME and organisations (Section C);
• How and when the renewal fees have to be paid (Section D);
• The publication of the EPO regarding the Unitary patent, in particular the content of the register and a file inspection (Section E);
• Details how to register transfers, licences and other rights and file statements on licences of right (Section F);
• Other procedural questions like the language regime, representation and fee payment (Section G);
• Legal remedies against the EPO decisions, in particular the role of the Unified Patent Court and interlocutory revision by the EPO (Section H); and
• Transitional Measures.
The Unitary Patent Guide is regularly updated in its HTML version.