PPH programme with Superintendence of Industry and Commerce of Columbia extended
The European Patent Office has extended the PPH programme with the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce of Columbia (SIC). The trial period for this programme, which was initially set up for three years from 1st of October 2016, has been extended for a further three year period until 30 September 2022.
Under this programme, examination may be accelerated before the EPO on the basis of :
- a PCT application for which a favorable written opinion or international preliminary report on patentability (IPRP) was issued by the SIC in its capacity as ISA/IPEA; or
- a national work product established by the SIC during the processing of a national application or a PCT application having entered the national phase.
The programme also allows acceleration of patent applications pending before the SIC on the basis of a PCT application for which a favorable written opinion or IPRP was issued by the EPO or on the basis of a national work product issued for an EP application or a PCT application having entered regional phase before the EPO.
To be eligible to participate in the PPH at the EPO, the following requirements have to be met :
- the EP application must have the same earliest priority or filing date as the corresponding application;
- the corresponding application must have at least one claim considered as patentable/allowable;
- the claims of the EP application must sufficiently correspond to the patentable/allowable claims of the corresponding application; and
- the substantive examination of the EP application must not have begun.
Formal requirements at the EPO may include the provision of the relevant documents of the examination proceedings regarding the corresponding application, eventually along with a translation into one of the EPO official languages French, German or English.
This IP Alert is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.